Thank you for your interest in the virtualisation software / the Virtual Enterprise Data Warehouse! It’s free and useful to quickly prototype your Data Warehouse model (output), validate your metadata and generally get insight in the Data Vault patterns.
The key concepts are related to the idea that if you can generate all your ETL and you can ‘replay’ your entire Data Warehouse (when you refactor for instance) using Persistent Staging Areas, you can basically virtualise your entire Data Warehouse (I coined the term ‘NoETL’ for this :-)). Your Data Warehouse model become ‘schema-on-read’ on your raw data! This is further detailed in many papers, most importantly here and here.
This page contains updates and general version information. To make life easier I have added the following pages to this site:
In general, all files (installation and support files) can be downloaded here (setup.exe). Hope everything works and is of some use. At this time the most recent working version is v1.2.2.
Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss!
Virtual EDW – V1.2.2
- Improved multi-threading handling, no more COM issues!
- Copy/paste now possible in grids (Excel-like functionality)
- Better handling of grid resizing (including when resizing or maximising form)
- Enabled manual changing of column width
- Issue with Event Date/Time not properly handled in metadata activation
Virtual EDW – V1.2.1
Bug fix release:
- Removed hard-coding for certain attributes
- Applied by-pass versioning to manage model & automation metadata screens
- Repository creation and truncation function (Metadata menu -> Repository)
- Improved handling of changes in grids to manage information better (better handling of updates, deletes and inserts)
- Initial validations added
- Support for multi-key Driving Keys
- Support for multiple Satellites off Hubs, Links
- PIT table tested for some edge cases
Virtual EDW – V1.2
Various bug fixing and event handling, and an installation wizard!
Virtual EDW – V1.1.5
Information on the thinking is captured in the things I am trying to achieve (work in progress). Please note that this download only contains the software install, the repository scripts are now available in the installation guide.
Virtual EDW – V1.02
Again thanks to everyone to keep pointing out these small bugs while applying this in new scenarios, some small tweaks were made:
- Removed incorrect mapping for LINK type views / insert statements. These were using the wrong table.
- Removed duplicate LINK mapping table from the metadata model (Virtualisation_Metadata_v1.2.ERwin).
- Updated metadata processing procedure to use the correct link mapping table (SQL_MD_Management_SP.sql)
Download the latest version (v1.02) here.
The support files were also updated (updated model and metadata stored procedure), this is now version 1.1.
Virtual EDW – V1.01
Some minor issues were found (thanks for everyone downloading & using the app!);
- In Link-Satellites, the Multi-Active attributes did not appear in the overall SELECT statement. The testcase in question is the table LSAT_CUSTOMER_COSTING. The partitioning logic was fine, the attribute just wasn’t selected
- Degenerate attributes were not not picked up for Link tables. Again a testcase was created for this (LNK_MEMBERSHIP) but it slipped past the radar anyway! This is now fixed – in the testcase you can see the ‘sales channel’ attribute is now correctly added as an additional (degenerate) key
Also, the support files have been zipped independently and can be downloaded here. No changes were made compared to prior versions though.
Use at your own risk! However I tested this out in various locations and it all looks to be OK. In fact it’s the reason why things took a bit more time as I fixed a few minor issues – thanks everyone involved!
To get started you should create a database (or use an existing one) in SQL Server 2012 or 2014 and generate the tables from ERwin metadata model that has been added to the zip. The (free) ERwin community edition is sufficient for this. Once the database is there you’ll need to add the metadata generation Stored Procedure to populate this model. The SQL for this is also available in the zip file.